ownCloud is a file syncing tool, which supports data synchronization on Windows, Mac Linux platforms, and on Android and iOS mobile devices. The main advantage compared to similar commercially available services is higher standard capacity available.
This storage is suitable for smaller volumes of data that you want to have available via the web interface, automatically synchronize them between your computers and mobile devices, or share them with colleagues.
Advantages of ownCloud
- By default, it provides 100 GB of capacity per user.
- It allows data sharing in groups founded by the user.
- It allows the files to be shared by a web link to anyone to whom you send the link.
- Data remain in the Czech Republic; association CESNET does not acquire any rights to stored content, which still belongs to data owners.
- First login to the system is sufficient to create an account.
Eligibility and Requirements
This cloud storage requires an account at an organization federated in eduID.cz. Masaryk University is a member (see the list of members) and therefore the service can be used by every academic employee or MU student. The service should be used in accordance with the rules of use of data storage services (rules for the use of CESNET data storage services). It is not necessary to register, the account is automatically established at the first login. ownCloud operated by CESNET is available to employees and students of academic institutions in the Czech Republic.