For storing data in the form of standard files, we provide disk storage available over the network. Usually, they behave as an additional disk in the system ("network disk"). They are suitable for storing any files from text documents to calculations and measurements.
Disk storage is designed to store files that are actively working in volumes up to tens of TB per user group. You can set data sharing in groups as needed, but you can also use storage for individual non-shared data. However, depending on the volume of data, it is usually necessary to distinguish appropriate storage technology.
- it is possible to share folders and files with colleagues and (especially doctoral) students; external access can be provided after request
- the storage is accessible directly from all MU networks including eduroam and MUNI networks; when accessing the university network from outside it is necessary to connect via VPN; storage is connected through common "files sharing" (CIFS protocol)
- the storage is accessible by SCP protocol from anywhere in the MU network and from the world
- the storage is backed up daily and snapshots are created several times a day, if the user deletes or overwrites the file, it can be restored on request
- access to them is set up on demand, the storage manager prepares disk space for the user group
- the access of individual users is managed by an authorized representative of the user group itself through the IS group
Eligibility and Requirements
These storages are not suitable for storing data over which a vast number of operations (such as databases) are performed, or large archive data, which is rarely accessed. It is also not possible to use the storage for storing unencrypted medical records and similarly strictly protected materials.
Additional resources are available at MU and in the National Storage Infrastructure that can be used. These are in particular:
- storage for data processing in computing centers (CERIT-SC a MetaCentrum)
- archival repository operated by CESNET
- storage for storing sensitive medical documentation
If any of the above features do not meet the needs of the user group, please contact us and we will discuss your storage requirements.